Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Energy Hunt

This lesson was so much fun – I just had to share! I wasn’t sure how it would turn out but after I saw my students getting so into it I knew it was a keeper. We have been in our energy unit. We had spent a couple of weeks studying heat, sound, and light energy. This was a fun way to bring the unit together. Since our standard says to find examples in everyday life, I figured that an energy hunt around the school would be fun.


My science consultant and I worked on this little Energy View Finder together. I cut out the center rectangle and laminated the. This was a good idea because the kids are not what I call gentle with things… We went around the school and I would stop the class in various locations. They then used the Energy View Finder to focus on different forms of energy. They were so engaged and found examples I never would have thought of myself. 
 
 





I just love when an idea comes together and the students love it. I actually had students ask me to make more of these so we can do them for other topics. We had just finished a unit on geometry and one of my students said it would be good to go on a shape hunt with a Shape View Finder. When he suggested that my class started clapping. I love how excited first graders get about learning!







No comments:

Post a Comment