Thursday, July 18, 2013

Hallway Flashcards

With pressure to not waste a single moment in the day I tried to find a way to buy back some time in my day. We take a couple of whole class bathroom breaks a day. To help my students use that time more efficiently I put some sight word flash cards and math fact cards on rings. This is completely optional for them to use, but I’ve only seen 3 students choose not to use them since I started it. I guess it’s all in how you sell the idea. I told them I didn’t want to waste their brains and that they could do some bonus learning in the halls. It’s amazing how the word ‘bonus’ makes kids want to do something.  
 
 



Most of my students know their sight words so I tell them the halls are the perfect time to learn how to spell them. It took some training on how to read the word, close your eyes and try to spell the word, then open them and check. But after a few days you can see them using the strategy. If you use the Scholastic Systematic Sight Words curriculum then the flash cards are in the back. But you could print off cards for any sight word system you use.


Our school is also pushing that the students memorize math facts. Although I highly disagree with this age group memorizing facts I do try to follow directions. Our math program (Investigations) focuses on patterns in numbers – especially the number 7 and 10. After we have covered those units I create 7 and 10 facts specific flashcards. So that way they are memorizing facts…but with the help of patterns in addition and subtraction.

Flashcards - 10 Facts
 

I also created a few extra math flash cards throughout the year to spice up our choices. Some of the ones I’ve used are place value – rods and units with the answer written on the back. I also have coin flashcards. Sometimes I throw in some science flashcards or sight word phrase cards. If you have a PowerPoint of anything you can print off the 6 slides per page, laminate, cut out, and ring. Just make sure you write the answers on the back so they are self-checking.

 Flashcards - Place Value 10s and 1s
 

All of these flashcards go in little bucket that I take with us to the bathrooms. As the students finish in the bathrooms they can get a set of flashcards and sit in the finished line.  This also gives them incentive to not stay in the bathrooms so long - they LOVE these flashcards and can't wait to use them.

1 comment: