Saturday, August 25, 2012

Filing Crate Seating


I haven’t been blogging because I’ve been in my class the last couple of weeks.  It’s been fun actually setting things up and making all the fun things I have pinned from Pinterest.  So here is another crate project I did.

I’m sure you have all seen the cute little crate seats on Pinterest.  This is my tutorial of how I made them – full of pictures of course.


First, I found the perfect little dog fabric.  It happened to be blue so I went back to Wal-Mart and picked up some more crates.

I then went to Lowes and had them cut some plywood for me.  I brought a crate up there because another blogger said it was a good idea.  She was right – a couple of pieces didn’t quite fit with the first cut.  It was funny because as I was checking out at Lowes a worker came up to me and said, “You must be making those crate seats.  All these teachers keep coming in here to make those things!”  

Once my boards were cut I covered the top with foam – the roll out kind that I got at the sewing section of Wal-Mart.  One roll covered all 6 crate chairs I made.  The last one had to be pieced together, but you can’t tell once it’s all done.




Then I cut the fabric to size and used my super heavy duty staple gun to secure it all down.




I really like the way these seats turned out.  They also help make the room feel larger because I don’t have chair legs sticking out from the two tables I used them at.  I think it’s more of a visual thing than actually having more space, but whatever.  It’s a fun project that adds a little personality to the room. 
 
And they come in handy for storing all those supplies I get at the beginning of the year that we consume: spirals, tissue boxes, pocket folders, manilla paper.  We have so much of it early on that I can't always find the room to store it at the beginning of the year...problem solved this year!
 
 

1 comment: