Monday, February 18, 2013

Guess My Verb

What do normal teachers do on their in-service lunch breaks?  Have a nice lunch and relax.  What do I do on my in-service lunch break?  I blog about teaching!  I guess I am a bit addicted.
Here is a fabulous idea that I did not come up with…my co-worker Holly did.  She is a super-star teacher and I love her excitement about teaching – even grammar!  I must admit grammar is not my favorite.  But I do love this lesson.  It is too good not to share. 
We began our verb unit with School House Rock (so cheesy but the kids love it) and a brief anchor chart.  After a few days of finding verbs in our reading text and writing we played Guess My Verb.  We went outside and a student whispered in my ear the verb he wanted to act out.  Then the rest of the students had to guess his verb.  I took pictures.  The next day I printed the pictures off and instead of free writing for Writer’s Workshop we wrote sentences for our verbs.  They LOVED it!  At the top the students wrote their verb and under the picture they wrote a sentence.  It was a great way to sneak in adding –ing to a word so it makes sense in a sentence.

I started the lesson with a picture of me – I’m at best don’t you think?  Then I wrote eat at the top of my page.  My mini-lesson included writing a complete sentence and adding –ing to my verb. 







These are some of my favorite pictures and the sentences that went along with them.  As always, happy teaching ~

No comments:

Post a Comment