Thursday, August 8, 2013

Daily 5: Book Bag Management Tip

I have tried many systems for changing out books. The system I used the last couple of years has been the simplest and best.


 My students have several morning jobs: notebook check with me, lunch choice, bathroom, morning work, etc. When they finish their morning work they know to do unfinished work. If they do not have any unfinished work then they may choose centers (basically Daily 5, computer, or math games).




Another option is to change out books. They do this independently because I have trained them how to look at books and decide if it is a ‘good fit’ book or not. This helps make sure not too many students are changing out books; many are still working on other morning jobs. I have also noticed that my students that need to change more frequently make sure they get everything done so they can change out books. 

This also works in reverse - if a student wants to change out books but didn't get a chance to do so then I use that as a teachable moment that he / she needs to be more diligent at getting work done in the morning so he / she can get to change out books.  Works like a charm! 


If a student makes a bad book choice…it happens every so often…I notice within a week because I have them bring their book bags to my guided reading group.  That way I can monitor what is in each book bag.

This is the simplest management for book bags I have found.  After the students have been trained, it practically runs itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment