Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Fable Lesson Idea

I was looking through some pictures and found these from our Fables, Folk Tales, and Fairy Tales unit (back in November).  And since I never seem to post about Social Studies it just seemed like the right thing to write about.
 
I'm sure nobody means to do this, but some subjects just get the shaft in our time and lesson planning.  To try and make sure that I am teaching Social Studies every day I have tried to find ways to integrate it into ELA.  If you use the Daily 5 framework - it is super easy to put into Listen to Reading and Word Work (see my Daily 5 and Social Studies post). 
 
But I want other ways to integrate as well.  For this unit we read a lot of Aesop's Fables and discussed what a moral is, etc.  Since we had been talking about characters and setting at this time anyway I threw in a quick little project on Friday.  After retelling 2 of Aesop's Fables (that we had previously discussed) I listed the titles on the board.  Then I had each pair choose one of the fables.
 
As you can see in the pictures they had to list:
  • fable title
  • characters
  • setting
  • moral
 
 




 
Then I had them illustrate the setting and make little characters on popsicle sticks.  My early finishers got to act out the fable using their characters and setting.  This was a super fun and easy project with Social Studies and ELA all in one.

No comments:

Post a Comment