Friday, March 15, 2013

Math Games that Focus on 10

I found another old video that I had never uploaded.  It's so much fun to see my alumni back when they were first graders and know that they are doing so well in older grades.  So when people tell me that it looks like we are 'just playing games' I know that it may look like that, but I am building a solid foundation for success.  Can you tell I've had some recent discussions that imply that first grade is 'easy' to teach?
 
 
I've mentioned before that I use Investigations as my main math curriculum.  However, I make my students write down their corresponding equations as they play the games.  That is not in the curriculum but I would highly recommend it.  I also add other games such as bowling for 10.  After our focus on the number 10 my students are excellent at composing and decomposing the number 10.  This video shows the kids at work and gives you an idea about our noise level on some days...at least you know they are excited about math!  :O)

No comments:

Post a Comment