Friday, June 21, 2013

100th Day

 Here are my favorite 100th day activities:

100th Day Buffet

I originally found this idea on Pinterest…but I had to Dorothy-ify it and make it my own. I like the idea of the kids eating and filling 10-frames. The only problem is that my school district is very picky about making sure everything we do is tied to standards even on fun days like this. So I made the 10-frame page with equations underneath each one. This fit the ‘noticing patterns in subtraction’ standard because I make sure the 10-frames show patterns.

100 Day Buffet Recording Sheet

Basically you buy a bunch of snacks and have the students fill their 10-frames with those different snacks. They transfer their snacks one 10-frame (on a paper plate) at a time to a 10-frame paper (with 10 total 10-frames to make 100) on their desk. After all of the 10-frames are filled you begin. I would have them eat a few pieces off of each 10-frame and write the corresponding equation underneath. For example I have them everyone eat 3 pieces off their first 10-frame and then write 10-3=7. The next time I would have them eat 7 and write 10-7=3. That’s how I made sure it met the standard. At the end all the extra snacks are then put in a bag to take home. I even had my principals come watch the fun for this one to show that we can have fun and meet the standards. 
 
 

This year I made 18 plates around the room so almost all my students were busy filling up their 10-frames. That really helped this activity move quickly and kept anyone from waiting around like they did the first year. My best buy in the snack departments was the Great Value (Walmart brand) Fruity Puffs cereal. I separated the 5 or 6 colors into their own category so with one purchase I had a bunch of ‘choices’ for the buffet. Other easy ones were Smarties, M&M’s, colorful marshmallows, Red Hots, Nerds, and chocolate chips.
 

This activity in all takes over an hour so make sure to plan a chunk of time for this if you try it.

100 Chart Puzzles

I printed 14 100 charts on different color cardstock and laminated them. Then I cut them up in different shapes. The kids partner up and put the puzzle together. If I have students struggling I hand them a 100 chart to use as the base. But most of the time the kids can figure it out without the added help. This seems like a simple activity but the LOVE it. 
 
 

100 Seconds

This is another Pinterest find. What I can do in 100 seconds – with a bunch of activities like hop up and down, write the alphabet, blink, etc. This was really fun for the kids and so much fun for me to watch – seeing them blink and trying to keep up counting was hilarious. I don’t know who created this, but she was smart – it had them hop at just the right time. Then they moved onto something more restful then go back to sitting and standing. It was great to have movement in there at just the right time.

 
 
 
 
 
 
100 Year Portraits

And I’m sure you have all seen cute pictures online of what I’ll look like when I’m 100. My kids also draw pictures of what they will look like when they are 100. Because of that standard correlation I also have them write about what they will look like or act like when they are 100.  

No comments:

Post a Comment