Monday, June 24, 2013

Charts, Storage, and Formative Assessment, Oh My!

Charting Our Learning

After we have used an anchor chart and moved on I like to put it up in another location for a little longer. This is my anchor chart area in the classroom. It changes during the year but it gives the students another location to go to as a resource for spelling during Writer’s Workshop and / or Work on Writing. 
 



 Storage Tip
 
My district uses Investigations and enVision as our math programs.  We use Investigations to guide our teaching but supplement pieces of enVision when needed.  However, we get the consumables for enVision every year.  Luckily we don't get those long student books that you have to rip pages out of any more...we get shrink wrapped sets of pages.  It is much easier to pull out one or two pages you actually want to use in this format.  But the stacks and stacks of shrink wrapped pages take up a lot of room.  Until I discovered that I could fit every single piece into one filing cabinet drawer.  I use a permanent marker to write on the spine what unit it is so I can easily find the few pages I use during the year.  I will gladly give up one filing cabinet drawer to get rid of the stacks and stacks of math consumables from my shelves. 
 


Formative Assessment

My district is pushing formative assessment to help guide our teaching. This was a great idea one of the other teachers shared. It worked like a charm in my class. All you do is have a sticky note for each student and ask a question. They can post their note in their corresponding square on the chart. Some of my questions were: What was one thing you learned about the food chain today? Use the 3 numbers on the board and make all 4 equations in a fact family. If I know that 7+1=8, then I know 8-__=__. Write down the main character(s) in one of the books you read during Read to Self. This was a simple poster to make with a lot of flexibility in how to use.  
 




I know these were a bunch of random tips.  But hopefully they will give you some easy ideas you might want to implement. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment