Saturday, June 8, 2013

Poetry: Student Work as Mini-Lesson

Poetry!  Do you get really excited about your poetry unit?  I do.  Our school has been on a kick about poetry because testing scores were low in that area and a bunch of people were saying it was because we didn't have any resources.  Luckily in first grade some teachers had started putted resources together a while ago so I've never felt worried.  It seems like a bunch of people want to do poetry on a shallow level all year long - like a poem a week type thing.  I disagree with that method.  If you teach poetry as a unit and really go in depth with it then I know the students will pick up so much more than if you just read a poem and do some little activities with it...but I'll get off the soap box now.
 
Our year finished off with a poetry unit.  I like it because that is so different than the other types of units we have done all year that it really grabs and holds their attention.  And that is no small feat at the end of the year!
 
Here is a quick video of a Writer's Workshop mini lesson.  I always start with a mini-lesson and then have them go out and write for a large chunk of time.  At the end of EVERY Writer's Workshop EVERY child shares his / her writing.  I feel that is a very important part of the writing process - talking about what you did and what you plan to do next.  So the students all partner or small group up and share what they did that day.  After that I will pull some examples of writing that I want to highlight.  This gives me a chance to show all the class what other authors are trying and that they could do it too.  This is one of those times - at the end of the lesson when I'm showcasing student work.
 
 
 
 
I love the freedom with which first graders approach poetry.  I can do that!  That's the type of attitude I want them looking at all writing with when we study it.  Once you immerse the class in a genre study of poetry then you will notice how willing they are to try poetry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment