Saturday, July 5, 2014

It's about relationships!

This past year was EXTREMELY difficult and I find myself trying to piece together what I should learn from it. One of the main things I notice as I look back at this year is that when all else was failing – the students and I were still succeeding and enjoying school. A lot of things about the school were different and not always in a good way. But I found myself remembering that I am here because of the sweet (and wild and crazy) little kids in my room. I teach because of the students!



While transferring my year’s pictures into my backup storage I found these pictures. They just made me smile. I love that at the bottom of a spelling test a student spontaneously decides to write a note. This happened a lot during the year. But for some reason I took pictures of a couple of them to remind myself about Dr. James Comer’s quote: “No significant learning occurs without a significant relationship.” 
 
 
 
 


I love the ‘thank you for teaching us today’ note. Each day we end with the students lined up to go home. I say, “Thank you for learning today.” They respond with, “Thank you for teaching us today.” That came because my husband who teaches middle school makes his students thank him when he passes out quizzes and such. He does it more as a joke…typical middle school teacher! But I thought it would be a nice way to end each day so I stole the idea. When I read this note at the bottom of the spelling test I thought that maybe it is actually sinking in for some kids…maybe…



One morning one of my students was going wild (and I mean WILD) and nothing was working. I think he even ended up with a folder sign by 8:30 a.m. He did not like folder signs because he actually got consequences at home when that happened. I could see on his face that this would be a rough day…and it was only 8:30!!!! So while the class was in the library I wrote him a quick note. I didn’t know if it would help or not, but I wanted to try. He wrote me the yellow note in response during Writer’s Workshop. (They can write books, notes, cards, lists, letters, etc. during that time.) Then at the end of the day he told me he wanted to me to find his 2 secret notes he had hidden around the room. The 2 sticky notes with pictures were what I found. He had one of his best days after 9:00 a.m. and I think it was because he knew that even though he had made a mistake, I still loved him.

 
 


I am so grateful for the students reminding me why I teach!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment