Saturday, July 19, 2014

Sight Word Review Games

Here are some more sight word resources that you might find useful.  These are most useful if you use Scholastic's Systematic Sight Word curriculum.  I love that curriculum and have a post about here: Sight Word Resources.  That post has a bunch of PowerPoints for each of the weeks so check it out if you need any of those.

If you follow the curriculum I have a cute game that I use on the review weeks.  It is called Mystery Sight Word Hunt.  I have the kids write down any word off the word wall.  I explain that they are trying to figure out my 'mystery word' using the clues.  After everyone has written down their first guess I give a clue.  They write their new guess or their original word again depending on if the word they wrote matched the clue.  I go through several clues until there is only one word left that fits all the rules.  They L-O-V-E this game.  The reason it works only if you are using the curriculum is because I made sure that it will only end with one particular word following all the clues.  If you use a different curriculum / order for your sight words then you would need to change that up to match your words.



Another sight word activity that I use during those review weeks is called a Sight Word Hunt.  For this one, the kids get an address label with a sight word put on their forehead.  Then they go around with a clipboard and sight word tracking sheet and write down the sight word on each of their classmates foreheads.  I was worried this would be a really loud activity, but it was golden.  I had to share since it went so well - even with my wildest of classes.  Oh, and it is hilarious to see them with sight words on their foreheads!











And last but not least, a nice review for sight words is shaving cream.  The kids get a little wilder with this one...you can see that in the pictures, but they do love it.  This one requires no set up except for shaving cream (2 cans is more than enough).  I just call out a random sight word and have them use their finger to practice writing it in the shaving cream.  I try to choose ones that I actually want them to spell really well by the end of the year.  Many of my review activities use the same words - I feel that they are the most important ones.











I hope you can use these resources or get some ideas from them.  Looking at those pictures just makes me smile - even the wild ones!  Happy teaching ~

No comments:

Post a Comment