Friday, July 11, 2014

Small Group Resource - Making and Writing Words

One of the activities I do with my small groups and/or tutorials is making and writing words.  A few years ago my district bought each first grade teacher an official Making and Writing Words kit.  However, the kit had many typos and mistakes.  So I used it as a guide to help me create my own documents for each phonics skill.


I used to have this activity be the whole time for my small group - one day we focused on the phonics skill and the other days we did guided reading.  Next year I will try to do a phonics skill, guided reading, and another skill in each small group.  In order to do that I will have to make these much shorter.  My plan is to have the kids do this activity as the phonics warm up for 3 days - half the words on one day, the next half on the second day, and the sorting / rhyming activity on the third day. We'll see how that goes...


I have the letter cards already bagged for each student.  Back when I first began teaching we used the Four Block model which is where these letter cards came from.  For that you had to have a set of letter cards for each student - yikes!  

It specifies which letters you need at the top of each page I created.  I would recommend bagging them each week the first year and loving yourself for having it ready for the rest of your life after that.  I think I bought 3 sets of the letter cards from Teacher's Tools.  The letter cards are made by Carson Dellosa so you should be able to find them in lots of stores/online.


No comments:

Post a Comment