Monday, June 18, 2012

Another Inferring Lesson

I've mentioned several times on this blog that I teach many mini-lessons over the same strategy. This seems to keep the students more interested and focused (most of the time) and gives them more chances to practice. I have already posted one inferring mini-lesson that I use to introduce. Here is another video of a lesson later in the unit. If you see my other inferring post you will notice I had a t-chart lesson with The Art Lesson by Tomie de Paola. This is another t-chart lesson but with a different text.




So Daily 5 is the framework of my literacy block. This is the content - the comprehension skill of inferring - that I teach in a mini-lesson. I teach at least one comprehension skill and one accuracy skill each day. If you haven't used Daily 5 yet then I hope this makes more sense of what your mini-lesson might look like later in the year when you aren't spending all your time going over I-charts and practicing behaviors between every rotation.



During this lesson we were using a t-chart to show the difference between what is in the text and what must be inferred. We had been studying inferring for a couple of weeks when this lesson was introduced. This is just another example of a short lesson that put together with many other short lessons help the students grasp and internalize a reading strategy.

No comments:

Post a Comment