Friday, June 8, 2012

Bowling for 10 - Subtraction Game

I just realized most of my posts have been language arts centered...I do teach other things besides just language arts!  So I decided to post something math-y today.

Do you ever wander around in the dollar store finding cute things and wondering how you can use them in your classroom?  They are only a dollar so there has to be a way...but maybe that's just me.  Well, just in case - here is an easy way to use a little bowling game to practice subtraction from 10.

We use Investigations as our curriculum and supplement when needed.  During the time when the curriculum focuses on 10 - I add this little game into the rotation.  One way I try to 'beef up' the Investigations curriculum is (when possible) I have the students write down the corresponding equations on paper or in their learning journals. 



In this picture you see a sample of the number sentences a student was writing to correspond to his bowling.  I use the thought protectors we already have in class to help keep the bowling pins from going everywhere.

This is by far one of the students' favorite activities of the year.  If you are at the dollar store I highly recommend you pick up several bowling sets.  Target and Walmart have them too...they are just closer to $3 a set if you get them there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment