Monday, June 4, 2012

A Few Daily 5 Resources

So this is going to be a big Daily 5 resource dump.  I've found a bunch of this online or taken something from other teachers in the district.  I also have a few things with a slight variation because I needed to make it fit my classroom.

The check in chart is something I found online.  I have a modified one because I let the students choose any option that they have not been to yet.  So even though I know that we only do 2-3 rounds of Daily 5 each day, I know that all the students will get to Read to Self and Work on Writing every day with maybe a day break from one of them.  It seems simpler for me to track this way.  Also, with my chart I just go down the list and I can quickly see which option(s) a student has left in case they have forgotten.

Also, the original check in chart went by days at the top.  I use my chart until it is used up so if on Monday we only got to 2 rotations I begin with that first column to continue checking my students in on Tuesday.  Hopefully that makes sense...

I do Read to Someone separately because I like to be walking around listening in on conversations about text so I can pull from that when we re-group.  It is just a personal thing - I prefer the more quiet Daily 5 options when I am working one-on-one or with small groups and so Read to Someone is separate and we all do that option at the same time.  That has seemed to work best for my personality and class set up.


So I know the Sisters have the super cute check marks and I have seen lots of cute ideas.  But I need something that is easy to make (and re-make if it gets ruined) and something easy to store.  So I have these coaching cards that I just print front and back on cardstock, laminate, and pass out to students during our Read to Someone rotation.

The front has a few of the strategies we use for accuracy - I have a larger poster of it in the class that we go over way before I even begin teaching Read to Someone.  By the way - Read to Someone is the last Daily 5 I introduce.  The back of the coaching card has a quick visual - a check mark with who and what written on it.  That seems to be the simplest way I can have something for the students to hold to help them remember they need to re-tell what the other student just read.

These aren't the most creative cards of all time, but they seem to work best for me.

After a while I need the space on my walls and cannot afford to keep up those big I-Charts.  But I do still want them there for ready reference for when we need to revisit them.  So after a couple of months I do a small review lesson of why we created them and I present the small version of the I-Charts.  These conveniently fit on the front of my cabinets in one area of my room.  The students love the pictures of themselves that I put on the small charts and so they aren't too sad to see the large ones go.

And, of course, I would feel empty inside if I didn't add a few more pictures to make my post feel cozy.  Here are some pics of my cute (now) alumni during a Daily 5 rotation.  These are of students at Read to Self.  I have a bunch to show how the students get comfy wherever they happen to be in the room.


FYI - at the beginning of Daily 5 (and the school year in general) I always tell the students that I am going to take pictures of students doing it the right way.  We then use these pictures to write class books, make class posters, anchor charts, put them on the website, etc.  They LOVE the idea of being used as an example...



During one of our Literacy Leader trainings we got the chance to observe other teachers and how they are making Daily 5 work in their rooms.  I saw one teacher using this Word Work checklist for her students.  I liked it...but wanted to modify it (of course!) for my needs.  I have her original and my smaller version. 



I didn't want the students to write their words on a list because they may choose any word family or sight words.  She used her spelling list for the week.  That would not work for me since we do not tell our students what their spelling words are; we just tell them the spelling rule we are focusing on for the week.  Also, I laminate mine and they can use a dry erase marker to keep track of which ones they have done.  This way I only make them once and they are completely reusable.  But I know her original version would work best for some of you so I wanted to put that out there as well.


I hope you find some of these resources / ideas useful as you work your way through Daily 5 ~

No comments:

Post a Comment