Friday, June 22, 2012

Writer's Workshop

Writer's Workshop is one of my students' favorite times of day.  I do have a separate Writer's Workshop time outside of Daily 5.  During Daily 5 my students may choose work on writing, but I like to know there is a time each day (4 out of 5 days in the week) that I have a specific writing mini-lesson and then give the students a chance to try using it if they want.  During Daily 5 rotations I am meeting with students about reading.  My Writer's Workshop time is when I get to meet with students and talk about their writing.

This is a quick video of students sharing after they have had a chance to write.  If you notice my format - sharing writing is something every child does every day.  This would be impossible if I let them share one at a time.  I hope this video gives you an idea of how to allow your students to share with partners or small groups so that each child shares his / her work.  It does not get too loud because the students genuinely care about what they were writing and what their friends are writing.  The students also tend to write more because they know someone else will be seeing their work at the end of Writer's Workshop. 

If they aren't finished with a piece of writing I have them talk through with their partner what they plan on doing to finish it.  This is a great way to have them start planning for the next Writer's Workshop.


Writer's Workshop has a very predictable and purposeful set-up: 

Every day there is a short mini-lesson. I either focus on a mentor author or write myself in front of the students.

Then I have the students think silently (with their eyes closed for about 1 minute) about what they want to write about. Then they turn and talk to a buddy about what they want to write about. This eliminates any comments of "I don't know what I want to write about." The students know writing is just like talking so if they can talk about it, they can write about it.

We then go to our desks and write about the topic they choose. I do not tell them what to write. I might suggest that they use a strategy - like changing text for emphasis, but I let them choose what they want to write.


Then we have share time. I believe each child should share each day - this is important for accountability and so they can think of what they need to do next. The students find partners around the room and share their writing and what they are going to do next if they are not finished with a text. If time permits I have a few students share in the author's chair and point out what strategies they are using well. Author's chair is just for a few students each day so it does NOT count as sharing time. All students need to talk about their writing each day. Sorry - I've found myself on another soap box! :O)

No comments:

Post a Comment