Saturday, June 2, 2012

Schema Mini-Lesson Video


So here is a quick mini-lesson on schema.  I do a 5-10 minute mini-lesson, send them off for a Daily 5 rotation, bring them back to share learning, then repeat.  It has really changed how I look at teaching a concept - teaching many mini-lessons and letting them practice instead of a couple of long drawn out lessons where they lose interest and zone out.

By the way - it was red ribbon week...my students do not usually wear sunglasses or have their hair sprayed in crazy colors...you've got to love the randomness of elementary school!  :O)

My comprehension lesson ideas (mostly) come from Comprehension Connections by Tanny McGregor.  That is where the thinking stems poster came from.  I use those to help guide my teaching and post them under the Comprehension section of my CAFE chart.  I chose this book for the students to practice this skill because I know our kindergarten classes go to the pumpkin patch every year so I knew most of my students would have some connection to the text.

No comments:

Post a Comment